13 January 2009

My college football playoffs...

I am tired of hearing that a college football playoff system will not work... that it will interrupt finals... that it will extend the season too long... BOGUS!!!


Here is my plan:

Currently there are 119 FBS teams

The FBS will consist of 10 conferences - each with 12 teams (need to add 1 more FBS team)

Each conference will consist of two divisions, each with six teams

Regular season games begin on Labor Day weekend

A season consists of 11 games played over 12 weeds (one bye week)

Each team plays every team in their division (5 games), plus three cross-divisional games within the conference (8 total conference games - 4 at home, 4 on the road)

Each team plays 3 non-conference games (required to play at least one road game)

At the end of the regular season, each conference holds a championship game between the winners of the two divisions

Division winners are determined by the record within the division
1st tie breaker - record within conference
2nd tie breaker - overall record

Conference championships held on the week of Thanksgiving

Each championship winner automatically qualifies for the playoffs (10 teams)

6 at-large teams invited to participate in a 16-team playoff

1st round games played on the 51st Saturday of the year

2nd round games played on the 52nd Saturday of the year

Semifinals played on the 1st Saturday of January

National Championship played on the 2nd Saturday of January

Conference championships will be played on a neutral field

Teams seeded for playoffs by a committee with representatives from each conference


Seeding will be used to determine match-ups; the typical bracket model will be used: 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15, 3 vs. 14, etc.

1st and 2nd round games will be held on the college campuses of participating teams.

Conference champions will host 1st and 2nd round games - even if they are the lower seed;
if both teams are conference champions, the higher seeded team will host
- if neither team is a conference champion (both at-large teams), a division champion will host
- if both teams are division champions (but not conference champions), the higher seed will host
- if both teams are non-conference champions and non-division champions, the higher seed will host

Example schedules:



What is the argument against this? It does not significantly shorten the season. It gives several weeks off between Thanksgiving and 1st round games for finals. The latest the season will ever extend is 14 January - not much longer than the 8 January National Championship game this year.

What is the wrong with this model? NOTHING!

My suggestion... let's start raising capital. Let's put the bowls out of business by introducing a dynamic, workable, new plan for a college football postseason.

5 comments:

hbentley said...

I have to say I am very impressed with the spreadsheet and thought process that went into this. I can only imagine how long this took, but well put together. I am thinking we can go ahead and put you in charge of the college football season.

Trent said...

Do you think the church would mind if I just started donating my tithing to the FBS playoff fund??? Either way it is a contribution to a noble cause.

Anonymous said...

Hello there I am so hаρpy I found yοur blog page, I really founԁ
you bу mistaκe, while Ι wаѕ ѕearсhing on Yahοo
for ѕomething else, Nοnetheless Ι am here noω and wοulԁ just like to sаy thanks a
lot for a inсredible post anԁ a all rounԁ thrilling blog
(І аlѕo lovе thе theme/design),
I ԁon’t have tіme to look over it аll at the
minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS fеeds, ѕo when
I have time I will be back to read much more, Pleaѕe ԁo keеρ up the superb b.


Feel free tο surf to my weblog - www.samstensunits.com

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you don't have a donatе button!
I'd certainly donate to this brilliant blog! I guess for now i'll settle for boоk-marking and adding yοur RSS feed to my Googlе account.
Ι lοok forward to new updаtеѕ and will talκ about
thiѕ blog ωith mу Facebook group. Tаlk
ѕοon!

Also visіt my blоg ... about street smart taxi

Anonymous said...

ωhoаh this blog is excellent i like stuԁуing your articleѕ.
Keеp up the great worκ! Υou realize,
а lot of іndividuals are seaгchіng гound
fοr thіs іnfo, yоu could аiԁ them greatly.


Stοp by my wеb blog :: irving tx

 

Blogger