17 June 2008

Out west

Greetings from Denver!

My two-week stint in Utah is now over. I had so much to do, I did not even make time to post my many activities.

I went from one activity to the next...

- Annie's blessing
- Camping with Aiden, Andrew, & Trent
- Wyoming shooting trip with the boys
- Bought a car
- Family picnic at Sugar House Park
- Campfire with some old friends
- Bear Lake race

I do not have pictures for all of the events, but here is what I have:

Shooting trip...

On our way to Wyoming to help some farmers care for their land

Aiden and Andrew liked to see the bloody "squirrels"

Bear Lake race...

It was a beautiful evening when we picked up our race packets

The CHAMPION!!! - winner of the 1st Annual Bear Lake Marathon

Now I am on my way to the Midwest. With all the flooding, I hope I have a home when I arrive in St. Louis.

I departed Salt Lake on Monday morning. I drove for about eight hours and found a campground where I spent the night just outside Rocky Mountain National Park in Northern Colorado.

Chillin' by Shadow Mountain Lake before heading to bed

I had a beautiful morning run around the lake. I then used the lake for a brief bath (brief because the water was ice cold) before heading on my way.

Rocky Mountain National Park would be a great place to spend several days. There are hikes everywhere. Unfortunately, my schedule did not allow me to hang around for too long.

The road through the park climbs to over 12,100 feet above sea level.

Between the park and Denver, I stopped in Boulder to see Colorado University - a beautiful campus. Here is a picture of Folsom Field.

10 comments:

brooke said...

I'm sorry I didn't get to spend more time with you while you were here. Unforentualy (however you spell it) St. George was calling. BOOO!!! We should rename you Nature Man, or Johnny Live off the Land. You desereve an outdoors man name! I can't beleive you took a bath in that lake. It look cold, you remind me of the cady in Happy Gillmore! You should have taken a picutre of your car. I haven't see the beauty! Does she have a name, if not I could come up with one for you. Mabye something like, The White Stallion, or The White Rabbit! I'll keep thinking, but those are just a few ideas. I miss you already. Let me know when your coming to Vegas. I'll plan to come vist, we can take Sin City by storm!

Jamie said...

I didn't realize you were leaving yesterday. Had I known, I would've come out to Mom and Dad's house (or Trent and Amy's. I never know where you're staying). I'm so sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye.
Congrats on taking second place in the BL marathon. That is awesome!
You are quite the mountain man. I think the nickname should be Paul Bunyon.

I love you. It was so good to see you while you were here. Next time I'll pay more attention to your schedule so I know when you're coming and going.

Can't wait for pics of St. Louis!

Amy said...

Sweet pics Jake. Love the one with you sitting in your chair by the lake. And where is your picture of your amazing finish in the Bear Lake race??? We all had a good time with you while you were here. Can't wait until the next visit. Start planning a trip for me and Trent so we can hit Six Flags!!!

Trent said...

The last month has been quite the adventure. It was very sad to see you go this time. It felt much more like good bye than when you headed to New York. I'm holding on to your commitment to qualify for Boston. I think we should try to do that again next year. More for the b.good burger, but the race would be fun too. Let me know when you find a race to qualify in.

Jill Clark said...

I agree that it was way fun to have you out here. I am glad you entered the cool kids club of owning a Mazda.
I have to agree with Brooke, I can't believe you took a bath in the lake, I bet it was so cold! But I guess that is the trill of living off the land. I love that you take the opportunity to hit as many sites as possible while traveling, that is a good way to do it!
Hope you have the rest of a safe trip and I'll be coming soon. I can't wait!!!

Jamie said...

PS - Mike suggested naming your car Rachel.

hbentley said...

It was fun to have you around the last couple of weeks. I love seeing your adventures as you make your way to St. Louis. I agree with Jill...I love that you stop to experience things along the way. You seem able to thrive in any sistuation. I am countinly impressed with you and the things you do. Good luck in your adventures. I love you.

hbentley said...

It was fun to have you around the last couple of weeks. I love seeing your adventures as you make your way to St. Louis. I agree with Jill...I love that you stop to experience things along the way. You seem able to thrive in any sistuation. I am countinly impressed with you and the things you do. Good luck in your adventures. I love you.

Christian Eyring said...

"Campfire with some old friends" - I am sure that was a miss type.

You know to have fun on a road trip. Can't wait for our trip in August.

akdoxey said...

Man- talk about an abrupt stop to activities then to being alone! I love that you even used the lake to bathe- good old western camping! Have a safe trip and I hope everything goes well with getting used to your new life in St. Louis.

 

Blogger