08 January 2008

Vacation

The holiday season is to the year as the weekend is to the week. I suppose that is more the case for a student (like myself) than working professionals. Nonetheless, it is a time for everyone to play and relax just a little bit more than usual.

This year provided more of a vacation than I have ever experienced before. My last final exam was on Wednesday 19 December. Early Thursday morning I was on a plane headed for Salt Lake - arriving in time to watch the Utes eek past Navy in the Poinsettia Bowl. Regarding the Ute football team, I enjoyed the satire of Salt Lake Tribune columnist Paul Rolly when he predicted that in 2008 "a contingent of University of Utah boosters [will] file a petition with the NCAA rules committee requesting that college football games be shortened by two minutes" (2 Jan 2008).

Anyways, the holiday parties quickly ensued upon my arrival in Salt Lake.
Dec 22 - the Jensen party at Dodee and Papa's (of course I left with the ever-appreciated Dodee toys!)
Dec 23 - the Johnson progressive dinner where I find company to grieve and grumble with due to another disappointing Ute season.
Dec 24 - Christmas dinner (Mom made a great Turkey meal - it is good to have home-cooked meals again!)
Dec 25 - Christmas morning bedlam at the Jensen home (the best part of Christmas!!!)

The fun did not stop there. Early Wednesday morning (26 Dec) I found myself back at home in the mountains. Seldom do I find greater happiness than when I hit the trail with my snowshoes tightly fastened, poles in hand, and sleds upon my back. Today's hike - Mill D North Fork (a.k.a. Desolation Lake/Dog Lake from Big Cottonwood). Snow softly floated down throughout the day. Temperatures kept the snow from softening and thus preserving a slick trail for the sled ride out. It was beautiful day enjoyed with a former roommate and a new friend from New York - Chris Eyring and Adrienne Martin respectively.

After a day of exercise, I needed to rest a bit. December 27 was spent glued to the couch in front of the TV. Dad bought the sixth season of Fox's hit TV series 24. Now, I can honestly say I am
not a TV watcher. I enjoy sports, news, and movies. But rarely, if ever, do I watch an episode of even the most popular television series. However, 24 is the exception. I have seen all six seasons. In fact, it has almost become tradition every December when the most recent season is released on DVD that Dad and I will waste several days watching all 24 episodes.

There was another snowshoe on 1 Jan 2008 - a good way to start a new year! I hiked one of my favorite winter trails - Church Fork trailhead to Grandeur Peak. It was a beautiful day - cold, but beautiful. I brewed some hot chocolate at the top before the 3 mile sled ride to the bottom... AWESOME!

My final weekend in Utah included yet another snowshoe - this time to the cabin. Some old friends from my student ward at the U. (40th Ward) got together for and overnighter. What a time! We left on Friday afternoon. The last mile of the hike was in the dark - very fun! Additionally, the wind blew quite hard. A storm blew in so that in the morning all our tracks were covered.


My trip was filled with perhaps one of my favorite past times - evenings with Trent, Amy, and family. I always enjoy having dinner with them, playing with their kids, then watching a movie after the little ones go to bed. They are my best friends. It was great!


Now I am back in the big city. Back to normal life. It was sure a treat to spend so much time with family. They treat me so well!

3 comments:

Amy said...

We miss you already. It was fun to have you here. We are already looking forward to your next visit. The kids want to play with Uncle Jake!!!!

Andrea Jolene said...

I am glad your trip home was so awesome. I wish I could've hung out too! :) Next time though right?

Unknown said...

Fantastic pics, great stories (particularly like that last photo)

xox

 

Blogger