08 January 2008

Riddle me this...

One of my 'Dodee toys' this year is a calendar with a new riddle/mind game for every day. They are fun when I have a spare moment or two. I have decided I will share some of my favorite puzzles on my blog here. But this is my rule... I will only share the puzzles that I figure out on my own (i.e. without someone else's help or peeks at the solution) .

Here is the first:

You have six six-packs of soda. Each can should weigh 30 ounces. However, due to a problem in manufacturing, one of the six-packs was incorrectly filled. Each can in this erroneous six pack contains the same amount of liquid, but they are all either one ounce too full or one ounce short. It is your job to identify which six-pack is incorrectly filled and determine whether the cans are too heavy or too light. You have been provided a scale, but it can only be used for one weighing. How can it be done?

4 comments:

Amy said...

If all the cans in the six pack contain the same amount of liquid, how could they be one ounces too full or one ounce short. Does it mean they are all the same volume cans, but they don't necessarily have the same amount of liquid? Or does it mean that every one of the cans in the problem pack is the same amount off?

Jacob said...

Every can in the problem pack is the same amount off - they are all either one ounce too full or one ounce short.

Anonymous said...

Weigh six cans from one, five from the next, four from the next and so on. The weight will be either a certain number of ounces short or a certain number over. If off by five then you it was the six-pack you took five from.

Jacob said...

mj - well done!!!

 

Blogger