15 January 2008

To the races...

Last night I signed up to run the National Half Marathon in Washington DC. The race in on Saturday 29 March. I am pumped!!! Apparently the race is through the metropolitan DC area - strategically planned so the runners see many of the notable federal buildings/monuments during the race. I have never been to the nation's capitol; this will be a fun way to see the city.

Since moving to New York, my efforts to run regularly have been mediocre at best. There was a two month period when I did fairly well - getting out on the road three times a week. However, at other times I was only getting out once a week. Trent and I have talked before about the psychological influence of goals. Take, for example, the goal I have set before - to run three days a week. Certainly it is motivated by good intentions. But what happens after the first week when I accomplish said goal? I must motivate myself again to tackle the same goal the following week - and again the week after that. The problem is that the goal is very short term. Consider now having a running goal spanning several months - such as a race. I have found that when I sign up for a race and carefully construct a feasible training program, my ability to get out and run on a daily basis is significantly increased. Why? Because running each day and each week is not the end in and of itself. It is a building process. I am working towards a larger end. There is no need to continually re-motivate myself every day or every week to accomplish a new goal. Even though I ran yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that, my goal yet remains unfulfilled. I must run again today to keep myself on track to realize the ultimate goal of finishing the race in the desired time.

This provides an interesting lesson in the importance of both long-term and short-term goals. The above paragraph provides sufficient detail as to the necessity of vision (a long-term goal). Essentially, it keeps us focused on a bigger, greater end. However, if we set these long-term goals without making plans and bench-marks (i.e. short-term goals) to reach them, we likely will find ourselves disappointed in the end.

In other words, I am excited to have a tangible long-term goal to help me exercise regularly. Not only do I intend to run in the National Half Marathon, but I am looking to set a personal record - I want to finish in under 1:30:00 (that is a 6:50 minute/mile pace). The last half marathon I ran I finished in 1:31:57. So close!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck! I just signed up for my first half (19 April in SLC!) and am terrified/excited abouot the whole thing. And yes, the longer-term "race" goal is much easier to stick to than the "3x this week" ones. Kudos to you!

xox

hbentley said...

Well, I can't belive that I need a dictionary to actually understand all of that smart person lingo. I am use to talking about Transformers, toys, and getting along with your brother. You always impress me by your thoughts. If anyone is able to attain their goals it is you. I admire you ability to set your goals and you are able to accomplish them. I think most of my goals for the new year are shot. Example, try to be a better Mom. Scratch that off since yelling at josh for climbing on the counters.
You amaze me all the time. I admire who you are and what you doing. It was good to see you over the holidays if only for a bit.
Good Luck in your goals

Jamie said...

So FUN! I think if I ever ran a marathon (highly unlikely) DC would hands down be the place I'd want to do it. DC has been one of my very favorite cities I've ever been to. Now that I think about it I wonder if I would hate running a marathon (half or otherwise) because I'd want to stop and look at the historical sites, read about each places, etc. It is a moving place to be - hallowed ground. I LOVE our nation's capitol. Mom and I went on a night tour to all the main tourist sites. It was awe inspiring to be in the huge monuments of men who were so instrumental in shaping the face of this country.
I wish I could be there to cheer you on, but I think I'll be a brand new mom.
Good luck. You do such cool things.

Christian Eyring said...

I have heard those words of wisdom from you before. I am running the SLC half and am planning to run the Logan full. This time I am not going to let injury get in my way. Good luck on the sub 1:30.

Amy said...

I wish Trent could come out and run it with you. I hope you get your goal!!! Good Luck!!!!

 

Blogger