11 April 2008

"Take me out to the ball game..."

The ball could have been mine!

I arrived at Shea Stadium, purchased my ticket, bought an overpriced Pepsi to enjoy with my sunflower seeds, and found my seat just as the first batter of the visiting Philadelphia Phillies stepped to the plate.

Before I even had time to get comfortable, I heard the distinctive crack of the bat accompanied by the unusual sight of a baseball seemingly growing larger and larger as it flew through the air. Yes, the ball was headed directly at me. With a sweatshirt, magazine, and drink in my hands, I was unprepared to make a quick grab. I dropped my items to the ground as the ball zipped past my left shoulder. It bounced off the steps and settled between the feet of the fan seated directly behind me.

I hesitated! Why did I not lunge for my first authentic major league baseball? My split-second thought was that because the ball came to rest at the foot of the gentleman behind me, it was rightfully his. However, had I acted quickly, I was in position to reach down and grab the ball before he could squat to pick it up. It was mine for the taking! My slight delay forfeited my chance to claim the coveted prize every baseball fan hopes for each time he makes his way to the ballpark.

And the salt in the wound? I turned around to find my Pepsi overturned at my feet – before I had even taken one sip!

Fortunately, my spirits could not be dampened – I was at my first baseball game of the season. The pleasing sight of the verdant, plush lawn coupled with the aroma of hot dogs, peanuts, and cotton candy wafting through the air overshadowed any disappointment of a lost opportunity.

5 comments:

jenny said...

so did you get the ball or not

Amy said...

I am so upset that you didn't get . . . to drink your Pepsi! It hurts to hear that a drink that good was wasted! I winced when you said you dropped it! But really, you need to stop being a nice guy and take what is rightfully yours!!! Maybe you and Trent will get a ball at one of your many games in May!

Jamie said...

I'm with Amy - you should have nabbed that ball when you had the chance. I guess you're nicer than I am - no surprise there.

brooke said...

Jake, I'm getting so excited to come back to vist! One month and one day from today! I was watching a show on New York today, and it made me realize how excited I really am. Get ready, this is GOING TO BE BIG!

Jill Clark said...

You are like the comment master, I love it!!! They really are one of my favorite things! I am so sad you didn't get the ball! To be that close and not go for it. I agree that you are way too nice, but I'm sure the guy behind you was happy.

 

Blogger