02 March 2008

I am a NERD!!!

Yesterday I had an epiphany of what a nerd I am.

I went into my research lab to do some experiments and compile a presentation of my work for a seminar on Monday. I was watching some time lapse videos I have acquired as part of my research. Each of these videos only lasts approximately 2 seconds. I was trying to find which videos I wanted to include in my presentation. As I watched them, I found myself fascinated with the clips and I even thought to myself, "these are awesome!"

I suddenly realized how incredibly weird I am for finding such pleasure at watching cells move around.

Below are just three of the dozens of videos I have collected. Each shows something slightly different. Two are control groups, and the third is the experimental group. Allow me to give these a bit of context. These are images of cells enclosed a 3-dimensional gel. I have found a way to control the movement of these cells. Specifically, I can keep them balled up in a spherical form for a time (Video1 - the video looks like nothing is happening, which is what I want; see, I really am a geek - I am fascinated by a video in which nothing happens!). I can then apply a chemical which causes the cells to spread out and even migrate through the gel (Video2). If I want, I can then apply a different chemical to 'freeze' cell movement - that is, I can encage the cells to prevent further movement (Video3).

Now, as I mentioned each of the videos lasts only two seconds. But that is hardly indicative of the work and time invested to get these images. Each video is actually a time lapse of a three hour period. And each experiment consists of three of these three hour periods. On top of that, preparation of the gels for the experiment takes another 4-5 hours. So, as you watch the videos below (if you have any desire to) remember that somewhere between 12 and 15 hours is invested in those two second clips.


Video1:



Video2:


Video3:

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummm...wow you really ARE a nerd! Just kidding. Anyway, I've been checking out your blog occasionally and thought it was time to leave a commment. I'm impressed by the book you're reading! Keep the updates coming-they're excessively entertaining. If I meet any BYU grads with "A" names I will let you know!

Amy said...

Fascinating. I wish I was as smart as you! Nothing wrong with being a nerd, don't the nerds always end up with supermodel wives?

Andrea Jolene said...

Ha - wait what? You're a nerd? ... ... ... ...Naaaaaaw. Look at those crazy cells!

Jamie said...

Duh. I'm dying to watch the fascinating clips of the cells, but the video won't load. I'm so disappointed!
Yes - nerds get the supermodel wives and are rich!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Huzzah for Nerdhood!

xox

 

Blogger