23 February 2008

I love art

Since moving to New York I have spoken with many people regarding the Metropolitan Museum of Art - often referred to as just 'The Met.' Some are inspired by the fine art housed therein. Others rave about the historical artifacts. Still others express awe at the enormity of the edifice itself. In fact, I have been told on a number of occasions that to see everything The Met has to offer necessitates multiple visits. In other words, one cannot possible see it all in one visit.

Well, I actually found it quite easy to prove everyone wrong. Here is the secret - walk past everything that is unimpressive. Now I suppose I am revealing my uncultured and unsophistacted ways, but when I experienced The Met with this rule in mind, I was enabled to see everything in about two hours. Because, let's be entirely honest, most of the stuff we see in museums is not really that great.

Of course there was the occasional piece which evoked deep and moving emotions within me. I certainly took time to pause and soak in the powerful implications surrounding such masterful expressions of the brush.

Pictured here is my favorite piece. Entitled Naked Man, Back View, the painting is exquisite. Captured in the work is the ever-elusive American dream. It depicts the epitome of what every man aspires to become. It is a beacon of assurance that we can all grow old with dignity. What more could we hope for?

4 comments:

Amy said...

Hey, that looks like a lot of the patients I have had to shower! I second your opinion on art and museums! You are pretty funny Jake!

Andrea Jolene said...

"..most of the stuff we see in museums is not really that great." Doth mine ears deceive me? MOST stuff? Oh no no. I love museums. It takes me hours to peruse them! HOURS! Especially in Paris: D'Orsay, La Louvre. Let us not forget London and the Tate Gallery as well as the Tate Modern. Granted - I've never seen anything as completely awesome as your fav from The Met though. Classic.

Jamie said...

"This is for a guy who doesn't think he's seen anything good today. Cameron Fry, this one's for you."

I love the wrinkley bum.

Shelly Karren said...

Jake--Hilarious, as usual. I am proud you finally made it to the Met if for no other reason than to experience a transcendent moment with the Naked Man. I guess "seeing everything" is a relative phrase. I like your way of seeing--did you see the Vermeers and the Caravaggio's? They are my favorites.

 

Blogger