10 September 2008

Introspection

I mentioned in my previous post that two weeks ago Jill visited my stompin' ground here in the midwest. Part of our festivities included a visit to the famed St. Louis arch. Before we made the journey to the top of the arch, we decided to watch a short documentary about the building of the monument. We bought our tickets and made our way to the theater.

Waiting at the door to the theater was a middle-aged man outfitted in his dapper park-ranger uniform with stiff hat and all. He pleasantly greeted us, asking how we were enjoying our morning. I offered the cordial but slightly reticent programed response: "we are well. And you?"

I later made light of his response to this question. He quickly and brightly responded, "I'm livin' the dream!"

Perhaps the fact that I found this response so humorous and even shameful speaks a bit of my own insecurities. My initial thought was, "Wow, you need to dream a bit bigger buddy... here you are in the latter years of your career stamping movie tickets while wearing a goofy outfit and you claim you are 'living [your] dream' ?"

Later in the trip an encounter with another gentleman helped me think a bit differently about this response. In Chicago, we toured the city on a boat - floating out on Lake Michigan, then up the Chicago River. For the duration of the hour and a half tour, the guide (also middle-aged and dressed a bit strangely - although this time it was a skipper's outfit) educated us regarding the history and architecture of this thriving city. The tour was fascinating and enjoyable. At the conclusion of our boat ride, the guide thanked us for joining him and said, "As you can tell, I love my job. I hope you all enjoyed it too."

Lesson learned: Dreams are not some great and imaginary end, rather there is so much immediately and presently surrounding me which can fulfill beyond what I can ever possibly dream.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Nice post Jake. If only we could all be satisfied with our lives and realize we are all living our dreams! I know I am living the dream I used to have when we couldn't get pregnant. I always said I would take 5 at once! Little did I know my dream would come true...
I LOVE your new header. The collage of pictures is fun to look at. I still love all the pictures of you and Trent camping with my boys!
Great post AND 2 posts in 1 month. Are you getting back into the groove of blogging?

brooke said...

Jacob, I love your new blog! It was double the treat when I pulled up your blog this morning. A new post and a new blog! I was telling Annie just last night, it's so hard to be content with where you are in life. It seems as though there is ALWAYS something bigger and better then where you are currently are in life! I wish I could just be happy and realize I'm living the single, student, college dream! I guess that's the trick in life. I love you! And I love your post!

hbentley said...

Very insightful and true. We each have our own dream and ours alone to full fill it.
Love the new look of the blog. I love all the pictures at the top. Mom and Jill both said how much fun their trip was. I guess you are good company???

Andrea Jolene said...

Excellent Introspection. Can I tell you when I was running the Wasatch Back Relay our team was known to yell throughout the entire thing to all runners who passes us by "Living the Dream!" Love living the dream.

Maga said...

We're glad you're living the dream. We wish you were here at this time in our lives. We need your help. Love Papa

Jamie said...

I love your new blog. Fun picture collage at the top. How did you do that? Very cute. And I like your new layout.

I'm glad you're livin' the dream. I love those two stories. I hope I'm carpe dieming myself. I'm so excited to hear that you'll be in town. It seems like I haven't seen you for so long.

 

Blogger