23 August 2008

What I love most

Is it time for a new post? I fully admit that my efforts have been wanting for the past month. I partially blame my indifference on the seeming lack of excitement in my life. However, much of the problem is attributable to laziness on my part. I extend my sincerest apologies to all.

With all the fun I had during the past week, I have little excuse to procrastinate another post.

I had a conference in Las Vegas running from Tuesday to Friday of this past week. I figured since I would be so close to St. George, I would extend my trip a bit and drive up to see Brooke.

I flew in to Vegas last Friday (15 August). I rented a car and made the short drive up I-15 to St. George. Mom, Dad, and Jenny decided to join us from Salt Lake for a weekend of fun.

This was my first chance to check out Mom and Dad's new digs in Washington - very impressive! Hopefully I will have the opportunity to enjoy this purchase with the family often.

We had all sorts of activities planned for the weekend:

We did a bit of shopping
Unfortunately we did not buy any T.V.'s

Dad and I made it out on the golf course twice...
As always, I showed Dad a thing or two about swinging the clubs. I outscored him by 30 strokes.

We ate at In-N-Out Burger
Good, but not as good as b.good!

Brooke and I made our way Zion National Park to hike Angels Landing.
Check out all the switch-backs!

I've always wanted to be Superman

A breathtaking view from the top

Did you know they made red asphalt?

There was an activity of which I do not have any pictures. Such an event is fully appreciated only from first-hand experience. It was an early-morning run through the red-rock country of Southern Utah. When I began, the sun had yet to give evidence of its impending rise. Yet, the desert landscape glowed softly beneath a waning full moon. My run took me above old-town St. George on Red Hills Parkway. The rugged cliffs and harsh vegetation served as a calming backdrop on the solitary road. Half way through my run the slowly rising sun enlivened the vibrant auburn colors of the unique desert rock formations. I finished the 16 mile jog feeling refreshed and grateful.

My days in St. George included a bit of everything I love most in life:
- Ample time with family (specifically, family meals accompanied with enjoyable conversation)
- Time in the outdoors hiking to a new peak
- Running
- Good food
- Relaxing time watching a movie

On Monday 18 August I drove back to Las Vegas where I spent the following days in the Las Vegas Hilton. Once again, I received exceptional treatment with my hotel room. I had a small kitchenette by a large sitting area - including a sofa and chair with an ottoman - in front of a 46" flat screen TV. The bedding included soft sheets with a down comforter. It was all topped off with a jacuzzi in a large, ornate bathroom. It is great getting paid to travel.

Brooke decided to visit me in Vegas on Tuesday evening. She brought Ben along and we spent a casual evening on the Strip.

We enjoyed dinner at The Cheesecake Factory

??????

The rest of the week was quite a bit of work. It was good to return home last night.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

I am just so happy that you're alive and to see new pics of you. I was begining to wonder if St. Louis had swallowed you up.

Sounds like SG was pretty fun. It's really good to hear any updates from you. I'm glad you're doing well. I can't wait 'til my turn to see you. Cheer extra loud for me in the Big House.

Annie said...

We were just talking about you at our Karren family gathering last night and were wondering how you were doing since you hadn't posted for a while. Guess our gossip paid off. :) Looks like you had lots of fun with your trip out West. I wish you had pictures of your red rock run. Your descriptions totally captivated me and I wanted to run with you (not 16 miles . . . maybe 6 or 8). But, your Angel's Landing picture about killed my fear-of-heights heart.

Glad you're safe at home. Keep the posts coming . . . even if you think they're boring. We love to hear what you're up to.

akdoxey said...

Ahh- with a huge sigh. You can definitely understand the longing I feel when I see pictures of beautiful red rock, etc. It sounds like your job is great, I wouldn't complain about a paid trip to see my family, plus more perks! Glad you were able to go home and have fun.

We have missed you coming out to the beach with us though. It was nice to have family around.

Shelly Karren said...

Jake. Glad to hear that nothing can top b.good. When Brett and Jessica were here in Boston, we thought of you when we went there. Lack of excitement? Are you kidding? Doesn't St. Louis have some built-in fun someplace?

Amy said...

I am so glad you posted. I was beginning to worry about you! I am glad you had a good time in St. George. We wish we could have been down there with ya. I am sure Trent was jealous of your run! Fun pics!

brooke said...

Jake, what a weekend! It was so much fun to get to spend so much time with you! From everything to shopping for hours, hiking, and hitting the strip. I makes me miss you even more! I'm glad your time here was so enjoyable. Have fun at the Utah game this weekend, cheer extra loud for me! GO UTES!

hbentley said...

I heard all about your weekend through various family members. They all said how good it was to see you. It has been forever.
I am excited for your upcoming weekend. You guys will have so much fun. Make us Utes fan at home proud.

 

Blogger