18 July 2008

The Family Man... before the 'glimpse'

Instead of a silver Ferrari, I drive a white Mazda. Instead of a luxury Manhattan penthouse, I reside in a comfortable one-bedroom apartment in a lower-income area of St. Louis. I cannot boast a lavish CEO income of a Fortune 500 company, but I earn enough to pay the bills. I do not wield the power to broker billion-dollar business deals that send waves through the financial community, yet I have a job I enjoy.

Minus the ravish embellishments in the movie The Family Man, I sometimes feel I live the life of Jack Campbell - before his life-altering 'glimpse.' I am well-taken care of. My needs are met. My time, my job, my home, my finances, my diet... so much of my life is very neat, tidy, and organized - in both a literal and figurative sense. The unfortunate detail is that everything is I, my, and mine instead of we, our, and ours.

8 comments:

brooke said...

Oh Jake! This post kind of made me sad! I think you are one heck of a guy! I think that who ever the LUCKY girl is that gets to marry you, is just that, LUCKY! I have learned in the past month that I think the Lord just tests our patients to make sure we have it, once he prove that we do, he steps in and offers a helping hand. At least that is what happened in my case! You seriously are such an amazing guy, and I have said on numerous occasions that I really hope I can find a guy just like you to marry! Keep your head up soilder, you never know, lighting could strike!!!! I love you!!!!

Trent said...

Jack Campbell is one of my favorite characters and I love this metaphor. It made me laugh and wish I could give you a glimpse. There is one major difference between you and Jack though and that is you did not intentionally choose I, my, and mine over "Us". And if you end up finding a Kate it will have been well worth it.

Trent said...

I second what Trent and Brooke have said. When I used to be a sterile, angry, bitter witch, I would have never thought I would be birthing litters in the future. Life just has a funny way of working out. And hopefully your "Kate" is just around the corner.

Amy said...

Hey that last one was from me, not Trent. Trent has never given birth.
Amy

Jill Clark said...

Jake I know the feeling and since I have yet to figure it out myself I don't have many words of encouragement, but I know that this is happening for a reason. The lucky girl you get to be with will be well worth the wait and all you have done before will have just played a part in getting you ready. Somethings are worth waiting for and you will most likely end up with the most amazing girl because you are so great!

Christian Eyring said...

Right there with you.

Jamie said...

I like your metaphor as well. Family Man is one of my favorite movies. I love that it shows what is most important in life. Hmmm. Was that even more of a downer?

I love you, Jake. I'm with Brooke. Whoever gets you will be so, so lucky.

Maga said...

My dear Jake, Your life sounds rather auster and lonely. How is the Church family there in St. L.? I need to talk to you. I'll call later. Papa

 

Blogger