25 November 2007

Answers to Prayer

I am back in New York this evening. Wednesday morning I flew to Salt Lake City to spend Thanksgiving weekend with the fam. I sure had a great time. It was a strange feeling to be in Utah with family again. It is a feeling I suppose most people have felt if they have lived away from home for an extended period of time. After the initial reunion with family, it soon felt as if I never left. Thursday evening, after Thanksgiving dinner at Dodee's, I went up to spend the day with Trent and Amy at their home. It was just like old times. We played with their kids, watched football, and watched a movie. Trent commented once, "It is weird, it is like you never left."

The weekend was a great break from the grind of school. In fact, this morning I was sad that I had to leave and come back to New York. However, now that I am here, I am ready to get back to work and finish the semester strong. In only a few short weeks I will be back with family in Utah for Christmas and New Years. I am looking forward to it.

On the flight I passed the time by watching the movie Evan Almighty. I really enjoyed the show. In most cases I would advocate against portraying God as a character in a movie. In fact, maybe such a thing should never be done. However, I thought the writing in this movie was right on. Several lines spoken by Morgan Freeman's character (God) teach great lessons.

First, early in the show God tells Evan Baxter (Steve Carell) to do something which sounds entirely ridiculous - build an ark. In the course of the conversation, God assures Evan, "Whatever I do, I do because I love you." Such a perspective in life provides the understanding and strength to cope with any circumstance.

Later in the movie, Morgan Freeman has another line that lends understanding to God's workings with His children. "If you pray for patience, do you think God just… gives you patience? Or does he give you opportunities to be patient? If you pray for courage, do you think he just gives you courage, or opportunities to be courageous?" Certainly this is how God answers prayers. He allows us to work for what we need and want. That is the only way the plan can work.

1 comments:

Andrea Jolene said...

Aw! Glad you came back to the great state of Utah for a time! I knew there was something different in the air! I need to see that movie. It's on the list...alas, all the lists. See you over Christmas yes? I'm pumped for our snowshoeing extravaganza!

 

Blogger