17 November 2007

A Midievil Castle in New York

I do know if you have ever heard of The Cloisters. I hadn't until I moved to New York. It is a museum located uptown on Manhattan. However, it is not just an ordinary museum. A museum usually houses artwork, sculptures, etc. for display. This is true about Cloisters. But there is more. In addition to the midievil tapestries, statues, and books, the building itself is a display of architecture of the same time.
Doorways, hallways, pillars, arches, stairways, and even entire rooms throughout the building are actual pieces of European edifices built in the first millenia A.D. They are not replicas, not patterns or likenesses of the real thing. They were recovered in ruins, transported to New York and integrated into this museum. It is incredible!


The museum was impressive, but the park it is located in is, in my estimation, more enjoyable. I suppose my own biases and interests are manifest here. I have always preferred the outdoors to any other attraction. The park is called Fort Tyron. At this time of year yellow, red, and orange foliage covers the solid rock hillside overlooking the Hudson river. It is nice to feel like I am out of the city and in the mountains.

0 comments:

 

Blogger