05 December 2007

Zoobies

WARNING: If you are a BYU fan, affiliate, student, or alum you will likely be offended from what follows.

This is exactly why I hate BYU. It is bad enough to lose to one's rival. It is even worse when, for the second year in a row, they win on a final minute scoring drive after the game was seemingly over. But when the victorious team then claims divine intervention on a critical play... "can I add some salt to the lemon juice?"

Austin Collie's 49 yard reception will be remembered by both Ute and Cougar fans for years to come. Facing 4th and 18 with only a minute remaining in the game and BYU down by one point, Max Hall scrambled out of the pocket and found a wide open Collie down the sideline - keeping a drive alive which culminated in a touchdown and sealed a second consecutive win over Utah. However, Collie's own words describing the play will long out-live his heroics of the day. In a post-game interview when asked if the play was lucky, Collie responded, "I wouldn't say it was lucky. We executed the play well. We should have had another one. Obviously, if you do what's right on and off the field, I think the Lord steps in and plays a part in it. Magic happens." (read article here)

Are you kidding me? Did he really say that? Collie just claimed that God stepped in on that play and helped BYU convert on a 4th and long situation. Does that sound a little bogus to anyone else? I have heard of the Lord providing food for a struggling single-parent family. I have heard of the Lord granting health - even miraculously - when someone was suffering. I have heard of the Lord giving guidance when one faces difficult life decisions. In fact I have heard of the Lord blessing people in so many different ways; it is impossible to enumerate them all here. But stepping in to make "magic happen" in an eternally trivial competition? That is something I have never heard of.

I have had Cougar fans ask me why I hate BYU so passionately. I am a Latter-day Saint. I served an honorable full-time mission. I go to church. I attend the temple. I serve in a calling. I live the gospel. So why the hatred?

Collie's words epitomize an attitude which permeates the BYU faithful - an attitude of self-righteousness. BYU fans, athletes, many students and affiliates carry an air of arrogance. They seem to believe that because their school is supported by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that every activity and endeavor pursued under the name of BYU is consecrated and hallowed by the Lord.

A perfect story illustrates this feeling. Several years ago my parents attended a football game at Lavell Edwards Stadium (then Cougar Stadium). At halftime the bands and dance clubs did their regular routine on the field. When the PA announcer introduced the Cougarettes, he proudly declared that they were "glorifying the gospel through dance!"

I emphatically disagree! The Cougarettes are made up of female college students who find enjoyment in dancing. Every university in the country maintains a similar dance club on their respective campuses. So what is different about the Cougarettes which enables them to "glorify the gospel through dance?" The name BYU of course. Because they dance for BYU they are most certainly representing the Lord and therefore glorifying His gospel. NO! The Lord is simply allowing these fine young women to enjoy their passion of dance.

Inherent in this self-righteousness is the feeling that they think they are on a platform above everyone around them. I went on a date once in Provo (notice the use of the word once). The girl was a student at BYU. I went into the date with an open mind. I looked forward to an enjoyable evening, hoping that possibly something long-term would result. However, I left Happy Valley with my opinions and stereotypes of BYU firmly solidified! We spent the evening with a group my date's classmates. I cannot adequately describe the change in attitude of her friends after they found out I attended the University of Utah. When first introduced we were seemingly equals and feelings were mutually considerate. However, after they learned I was a U student the dynamics amongst us were awkward and uncomfortable. Suddenly I was not one of them anymore. I did not bear the name of BYU in any way - not as a student nor an employee. It was as if a switch was flipped; they no longer knew how to act around me or how to talk with me - when in reality their behavior and actions did not necessitate changing at all.

Another example: I had a friend who did his undergraduate work at BYU, then enrolled at the University of Utah to pursue graduate studies. After a short time at the U, he sent me an e-mail. Attached to the e-mail was a picture of a beer can in a urinal in Orson Spencer Hall. He sent it out to several people trying to demonstrate how filthy and repugnant the U is. Honestly, if you are offended by a beer can in a urinal, you have spent way too much time in Provo!

The Lord is involved in our lives. He does bless us when we live right. But the Lord does not play favorites. BYU won the football game because they made the plays. They were the better team. It was not because of righteous living. If Mendenhall wants to use scriptural analogies and stories to motivate a football team - that is fine. But football is just a game. Similarly, the other teams, clubs, and groups at BYU (and any other university) are in place for enjoyment, entertainment, and expression of talent. They are not some noble effort to spread the gospel. They are not divine callings and appointments to represent God (or even the church, as Roger Reid would claim). God is certainly invested in our lives. He cares for us. He will help us overcome our hardships and weaknesses. But in the activities we engage in for amusement, He lets us have our fun without interference.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you nailed it right!!! i can't believe that collie made that statment. I always believed that the Lord loves all his children the same. Any idea on those Aggies? I guess the unrightous live up north. Football is a game!!! Us lonely folk that attend other schools or cheer for them are just as good as those that go down south.

Anonymous said...

Well said. You should have the article posted in the Deseret Newspaper; along with the picture. Zoobies need to see this.

Anonymous said...

I disagree. I think the Lord does play favorites, and He actually cheers for the U. I propose that the Y be renamed the University of Rameumpton and that an edifice be constructed whereupon Cougar Fan can stand and thank the heavens that he/she is so superior to everyone else. Cougar Nation never ceases to amaze me. Go Utes!!!!!

zoobiepets said...

Don't think for one second that all BYU fans feel this way. I'm a die hard Y fan, but am extremely emberrased by stupid comments like this. Don't hold this against all of us. Go Cougs!

Jacob said...

Zoobiepets,

You are correct. It is an unfair blanket statement to claim that all Y fans fell and act this way. Unfortunately, I feel you are a minority among those who wear blue.

BradJ said...

I listened to Collie's statement not as a Utah fan - but as a member of the church. My thoughts turned to my non-member friends and neighbors. I wondered what they must think when they hear such tripe.

Was I offended by his remarks? Not much - I've come to expect such from the myopia of Provo. I was just plain embarrassed (or as zoobiepets spelled it "emberrased"). I was embarrassed to think that my neighbors would hear such talk and associate it with the church.

Anonymous said...

I have to report a conversion story as a result of the "miraculous" events. One of my co-workers attended BYU as a out-of state LDS student. He didn't care for the culture down in happy valley, but he always cheered for the BYU sports teams. After he heard the comments after the game, he said "I'm done cheering for BYU, I'm now a Utah fan". At least something good came from it!

Big Brad

Anonymous said...

Jake:
You deserve a Pulitzer Prize for your write-up on the Utah-byu game. You are right on target! Maybe you can help me with a question: Why do Cougar fans always react with outstretched hands whenever one of their receivers drops a pass? Does it have some religious significance or is it sign language for "pass interference"?

Jacob said...

deathtonorthridge:

I too have been confused by this phenomenon - the seemingly inevitable reaction by the Cougar wide-outs whenever the pigskin flies incomplete to the turf. Maybe this is a knee-jerk reaction when, for a brief moment, they wonder if they have transgressed in some way. Because certainly if they were living as they ought such incompletions would never occur.

Andrea Jolene said...

I think your "beer can sending friend" is my beer can sending friend. :) I grew up in a "Provo-esque" type community...and I loved my home town. But I am so incredibly grateful for the experiences I had at the U - without which I wouldn't be the person I am today. Plus - I look MUCh better in red than blue.

Unknown said...

Ohmygoodness, I think this is perhaps my favorite post of the week. Love it!

Glad to have found you! Go Utes!

xox

Luke and Kimmy said...

i am not a football fan, well sports in general. but this is a great post. Hit it right on the head! not just with the sports side of the Y but everything u said about the fans and students. Awesome.

luke

p.s. nice blog

Anonymous said...

I think, that you are not right.

 

Blogger