02 September 2007

I am smarter!

Before I moved to New York a friend who once lived here told me that the library on Columbia's campus would make me feel smarter just by being inside. Well, I took a self-guided tour of the Butler Library last week, and sure enough, I think I am smarter now ;).

The building is classic. It is evident that the school spared no expense on this edifice. It is a symbol to me of the value the university places on learning and knowledge.

Here are a few pictures:

This first one is the main reference room with high ceilings, tall windows, and plenty of tables for studying and reading.



This next picture is the catalog room. You can see this room has two levels. The first level has cases and cases of cards listing the library's collection. The second level has multiple small alcoves perfect for quiet study space.



This is a picture of a room representative of many rooms throughout the building. Rooms like these are everywhere allowing students to find an ideal spot for their respective purposes. Some of the rooms have long open tables, like this one. Others offer smaller desks and cubby spaces for added privacy.



I think this last room is my favorite. I almost missed this room altogether. It is hidden in one of the back corners of the library. When I walked into this room I suddenly felt like William Parrish. Fortunately Joe was not waiting to see me :).


1 comments:

Jamie said...

Awesome library! I feel smarter after just looking at the pictures. If you keep on the road you're on, you probably will be Bill Parrish someday (minus the Joe). We'll all quote you at family gatherings.

 

Blogger