02 November 2008

Boston bound... barely!

Trent has run two Boston-qualifying marathons this year already. Wanting to join him in Bean Town next spring, I was in Indianapolis last weekend for the inaugural Monumental Marathon. I was shooting for the 3 hour 10 minute marathon required to qualify.

I did not have a strong start to the race. By mile 8, I was behind my time by 2 minutes. It took me the next 8 miles to make up the lost time - putting me right on pace at mile 16. Infused with some confidence with making up the time, I pushed a bit harder between mile 16 and 18 - picking up another 45 seconds. However, I paid for this a bit later in the run. At mile 21 I made a turn onto a 4-mile straight away leading back to downtown Indianapolis. This turn took me into a headwind with my feet feeling like 12 pound cider blocks. Somehow I was able to maintain my pace for the final 5 miles of the race. When I came around the final corner of the race to see the finish line only 100 yards away, the timer read exactly 3:09:00. My official chip time: 3:08:50. I cut it close, but I made it nonetheless!

And so I am already looking forward to a trip to Boston:
Fenway park...

The famous el guapo burger...

And the 113th Boston Marathon!

9 comments:

Jamie said...

Jacob, I just had the longest, best comment ever and it all got erased. I don't know if I should cry or just hit something really hard. I'm so mad!

Thanks for the updates. I always like hearing what's going on in your world. I feel so removed so I like any news from St. Louie.

HUGE CONGRATS ON QUALIFYING!!! What a great accomplishment! Seriously, that makes me so proud of you. I wish we had been there to cheer you on.

Have you had any more thoughts about coming out for the BYU/Utah game? Or do you not care anymore since BYU lost (hooray)?

Amy said...

Congrats Jake! I am glad you qualified! You guys will have a sweet trip filled with some good hamburgers!

hbentley said...

Good job!! I am still amazed that you are Trent run these races..and you like it. Very impressed.

Annie said...

Jake - that's awesome! Congrats on qualifying. I loved the recap. Can't wait to hear about the actual race when it happens.

Annie said...

(Clarification: actual race meaning the Boston marathon. Not like the marathon you just ran doesn't count as an "actual race". Dumb wording on my part.)

Trent said...

I've been eagerly awaiting a new post and was hoping it would have to do with your race. I love how the drama adds to the story. The one correction is that you aren't joining me, I wouldn't have been going if it wasn't for you. So in my mind I'm joining you. I hope our training goes better than last time and we can finish with respectable times. The amazing part of it all is that our real motive for running this race again is to partake of an el guapo burger. I want at least two a day and more if possible.

I'm pumped that you qualified!

brooke said...

Congrats Jake! Thank you for updating your blog! I DO love you even more!!!!

Andrea Jolene said...

JAKE! Huge congrats my crazy marathon running friend. That's really exciting. One day - perhaps I shall run - a half marathon slowly. ;)

Shelly Karren said...

Jake! Yea! You and Trent (and whoever else) are coming to Boston! You're welcome to stay with me, if you'd like (although you may be bringing a few more than two people). We have a lot more room in our house, however, and could host at least two or three, if need be. I'd love to at least meet you at bGood. Congrats to you and Trent and your amazing talent for running marathons.

 

Blogger